Good leadership is vital to any business because employees look to their leaders as a model for success and behavior within the organization. This comprehensive series explains how leaders can manage their staff and it provides skills and knowledge such as financial proficiency, stress management and time management. The leadership training series is 49 hours of content.
Adaptability - Everything Changes, Even Leaders
- Why adaptability is so important
- How to make your organization adaptable
- What role values and good judgment play in being adaptable
All You Need Is Love, Part 1
- Understand the importance of the human connection to leadership
- Learn ways to make your team feel valued
All You Need Is Love, Part 2
- Recognize the value of an approachable and gracious leader
Analyzing Financial Leverage for a Business
- What is a company's degree of financial leverage?
- How do you calculate the degree of financial leverage of a company?
- What is the price to earnings ratio?
- How does the degree of financial leverage relate to the price to earnings ratio?
Analyzing Social Networks in Your Organization
- Learn what social networks are
- Understand social network analysis
Applying Breakeven Analysis in the Workplace
What is breakeven analysis?
Why is breakeven analysis an important part of business finance?
Avoid the Blame Game
- Why blame is problematic and unproductive
- How to avoid blame in your organization
- How to look for solutions instead of throwing around blame
Avoiding Faulty Decision Making
- Understand the different types of bias
- Know where they cause problems in organizations
- Know how to avoid common decision-making traps
Avoiding the CrossPurposes Trap
- Understand the crosspurposes trap
- What things you can do to avoid falling victim to it
Basics of the Project Pre-Work Process
- Understand the project pre-work process
- Familiarize yourself with the process a project manager should go through before a project begins
Becoming a Leader
- Understand the basics of this series on leadership
- Learn advice and hear stories from other great leaders
- What it means to be tough as a leader
- How to be tough through preparation, commitment to decisions, presence and compassion
Bending Time to Your Will: Scheduling and Time-Logging
- How to use a day planner
- Which tasks you should budget time for
- The best practices for time-logging
Benefits and Pitfalls of Planning
- Know how planning can benefit you
- Learn common planning pitfalls and how to avoid falling into their trap
Business and Financial Information for Small Businesses
- Gain answers to some of the most frequently asked questions in business
- Access important small business resources
- Discover the growing world market of importing and exporting
Changing Organizational Culture
- Know the steps for embedding organizational culture
- Understand how to institute change in a culture
- Learn the steps and tools that will help change take root
Changing the Culture of Your Organization
- Explain why culture change may be necessary
- Understand the process of culture change
Check Your Ego
- What hubris is
- How it can ruin your career and your organization
- Ways to keep your ego in check
Communicate Credibility and Confidence
- Understand the importance of credibility and confidence to leaders
- Learn how to project credibility and confidence when you communicate
Communicate with Power
- Understand the importance of communication to effective leaders
- Learn ways to increase your effectiveness as a communicator
Communicate, Communicate, Communicate!
- Learn how to open up communication in your organization
- Be able to stay updated with all levels of the company
Communicating Effectively in the Workplace
- What are the different types of communication?
- How do communication channels affect communication?
- What are the different communication directions within organizations?
Communicating Ethically in Business
- What is the role of ethics in communication?
- What is the role of culture on communication?
Communicating with Your Project Team
- Understand how one communicates differently with different groups on a project
- How to conduct an efficient team meeting
- Discuss the nature of communications in an organizational setting, including communication flows, channels, and networks
Competitive Advantage in Organizational Strategy
- Learn the basic needs for competitive advantage
- Know the effects of competitive advantage on your company and products
- Learn techniques for properly giving constructive feedback
- Know when to give feedback and in what manner
Controlling Change in Project Management
- Become familiar with the concepts of change requests and change logs
- Have a greater understanding of different sizes of change and the attention that must be given to each
Cost of Capital: What does money cost?
Know what cost of capital is
Know how the weighted average cost of capital is calculated
Know how to compute the cost of debt and the cost of equity
Creating an Effective Leadership Style
Learn about the conditions that determine the effectiveness of different leadership styles
Identify the conditions under which task-oriented and people-oriented leaders can be successful
Understand when leaders should be be democratic or authoritarian decision-makers
Creating and Maintaining a Successful Organizational Culture
- Know the definition of organizational culture
- Understand how these cultures affect a company and how certain values can be perpetuated beyond the founders
- Know the keys to maintaining organizational culture
Creating and Maintaining the Culture of Your Organization
Understand how cultures are created
Learn how to maintain a culture
Day-to-Day Project Management
- Manage a project and resources on a day-to-day basis
- Understand how to manage time properly and stay on the project schedule
- Avoid common pitfalls and trends that can derail a project
Dealing with Stressful People
Learn how to communicate effectively
Understand why delegating or "sharing the load" is important
Learn how to say no to people
Know why creating a support system can help reduce your stress
Understand why a sense of humor is important in reducing stress
Learn how to listen actively
Decision Making: A Model for the Best Style
- Know the difference between command, consultative, consensus, and delegated decision making styles
Decision Making: An Overview
Know the three keys to effective decision making
Know how to determine who has decision making authority
Know to begin a decision with the end in mind
Know what boundaries regulate your decision making
Decisiveness: Decide or Not
- How to make decisions for your organization
- Learn how to get input and advice on big decisions
- How tension and pressure in the workplace can be both good and bad
- What you can do to keep the mood in your workplace calm but not complacent
Delegate (and Execute) for Results
- Learn how to delegate tasks properly
- Get the outcomes you want from delegated tasks
- Improve communication with employees
Delivering Bad News
- What you should and should not do when faced with bad news
- How to avoid rumors getting out of control
- How to help comfort people and break bad news responsibly
Designing and Managing Effective Teams
Understand how tasks and roles affect teams
Identify different types of teamsIdentify management techniques that match team design
Destressing your Inner and Outer World
Understand where stress comes from
Learn ways to reduce stress through organization of your environment
Learn techniques to reduce stress internally
Determining Project Requirements
- How do I know what my sponsors want me to do in a project?
- What are the first steps I should take when assessing project requirements?
- What are some good methods to generate ideas or brainstorm?
Developing a Project Goal Statement
- Know how to develop a project goal statement
- Implement the SMART method for project goals
- Understand the limitations of projects
- Explain how companies train and develop employees
- Discuss the importance of a diverse workforce
- Learn why questioning and doubting aspects of your company can be a good thing
- Be able to ask questions that enact positive change in your organization
Developing Team Confidence
- Understand the importance of confidence
- Learn methods of building the confidence of your team
Developing Your Leadership Style
Learn about the difference between transformational and transactional leaders
Find out how charismatic leadership relates to leader performance
Describe how high-quality leader-subordinate relationships develop
Define servant and authentic leadership and evaluate its potential for leadership effectiveness
Don't Let Priorities Go Awry
- How to tell the difference between high and low priority tasks
- How to use a to-do list
Effective Styles for Interpersonal Communication
- How to identify dominant personality types in others
- How to interact with people using types as a guide
- What can happen to your work team in the absence of personality balance
Effective vs. Efficient
- Understand the difference between effectiveness and efficiency
- Know how to set priorities which help you become effective, rather than efficient
- Gain control over time-wasting perfectionism
- Set specific objectives for yourself
Efficiency Indicators: Days Inventory
- What is Days Inventory?
- What is Inventory Turnover?
- How do I calculate Days Inventory Outstanding and Inventory Turnover?
- How do these concepts relate to a the efficiency of a business?
Efficiency Indicators: Days Payable
- What is days payable?
- What is payable turnover?
- How do I calculate days payable and payable turnover?
- How do these concepts relate to business efficiency?
Efficiency Indicators: Days Receivable
What is days receivable?
What is receivable turnover?
How do these concepts relate to business efficiency?
How do I interpret days receivable?
Efficiency Indicators: The Cash Conversion Cycle
- What is the Cash Conversion Cycle?
- How do I calculate a business's Cash Conversion Cycle?
- Why is the Cash Conversion Cycle important?
Embedding Organizational Culture
- Understand the meaning of organizational culture
- Know how to embed culture in your company using visual and auditory cues
- Be able to help employees believe in the organizational culture
Engage the Enemy
- Why engaging with the opposition can be valuable
- How to make interactions with enemies valuable
- How to heal rifts within your own organization
Estimating Task and Activity Durations
- Understand how to get accurate time estimates from team members
- Learn the difference between calendar time and work time
- Know how and why to include a safety factor
Experiencing An Ideal Day
- How to have an ideal workday using time management principles
Exploring Competition in Business
- Describe perfect competition
- Explain how supply and demand interact to set prices in a free market system
- Describe monopolistic competition, oligopoly, and monopoly
Financial Statements: An Introduction
- Understand what financial statements are and why they're needed
- Learn who reads financial statements
- Learn how financial statements are formatted
Financial Statements: Reading a Balance Sheet
- Understand the basics of accounting
- Learn how to read a Balance Sheet and know how it fits into a financial statement
Financial Statements: Reading a Statement of Cash Flows
Learn how to read a statement of cash flows
Understand how the statement of cash flows incorporates into a financial statement
Financial Statements: Reading an Income Statement
Know the items that will appear on any income statement
Know what's represented by the different subtotals on an income statement
Five Tips for New Managers and Supervisors
- Understand how to be the best manager or supervisor
- Be aware of some difficulties that may come with the position
- Know how to handle these problems quickly and efficiently
Forgive (Not Forget)
- Why forgiveness is valuable between people and in business
- What mistakes are forgivable and what mistakes are not forgivable
- How discipline can and should be used
Get Off The Pedestal
- Internalize the value of preparation and trust
- Understand when to be hands-off with your team
Getting Down to Business
- dentify the main participants of business
- Identify the functions that most businesses perform
- Identify the external forces that influence business activities
Getting Project Requests Right
- What is delegation?
- How do I write a project proposal?
- Why is asking the right questions so important?
- What is a charter?
- Learn how to give and receive great feedback
- Give effective, timely feedback and feedforward to employees
Government's Role in Managing the Economy
- Discuss the role of the government in managing the economy
Grace: Make It Look Effortless
- Understand the value of grace in a leader
- Learn ways to foster mindfulness in your workplace
Handling Conflict and Negotiation Ethically
- Consider the role of ethics and culture in negotiation
- How to move forward after a defeat
- Why you should not personalize a defeat
- How to fight back and when to step back
Hang Out the Lifelines
- Understand the importance of establishing relationships with employees
- Learn to connect with employees and encourage their connection with the organization
- Understand ways to recruit qualified employees
How Attitudes affect Employee Behavior
What is the difference between performance and organizational citizenship behaviors?
Are citizenship behaviors always beneficial to the company?
What are the major causes of absenteeism at work?
How can turnover be minimized?
How Ethics affect Attitude and Behavior
- How are job ethics affected by job attitudes and behaviors?
- How can companies encourage ethical behavior in their employees?
- How do job attitudes vary across the globe?
How Long, How Much, How Good: Juggling Project Resources
- How to figure out what drives a project How to take advantage of non-driving factors How to reduce project risks
How Teams Form and Grow
- What the four stages of group development are
- What the characteristics of the stages are
How to Avoid Self-Inflicted Delay
- How to make quicker and better decisions
- How to avoid distractions
- How to say no
How to Communicate with Time in Mind
- How to speak with your audience in mind
- How to speak quickly and concisely
- What it takes to make yourself believable
- How to speak with style and enthusiasm
- How to listen effectively
How to Manage Travel Time - The On-the-Go-Guide
- Why business travel is not always necessary
- How to attain the results of business travel without leaving the office
- How to save time when you DO leave the office
How to Tame the Incoming Telephone Time Thief
- What real-time communication is and how unproductive it can be
- Why you may (falsely) think every call is important
- How to politely and efficiently screen calls
How to Tame the Outgoing Telephone Time Snatcher
- How to make call-backs in a time effective manner
- How to use technology to make the process of making outgoing calls easier and faster
How to Think About Time
- How to think of time as a valuable and manageable resource
- How to think of time from a calm and practical perspective
Humility: Get Out Of The Limelight
- Understand the value of humility
- Recognize the qualities of a humble leader
Humor: Lighten Up, It's Only Work
- Learn to use humor to show you are relatable and approachable
Identifying Obstacles to Organizational Change
- Identify the external forces creating change on the part of organizations
- Understand how organizations respond to changes in the external environment
- Understand why people resist change
Identifying the Causes of Conflict
Understand what causes conflict
Identify jobs at risk for conflict
Learn the potential outcomes of conflict
Identifying the Characteristics of a Successful Team
Understand the difference between groups and teams
Understand the factors leading to the rise in the use of teams
Identifying the Characteristics of Leaders
Explain the traits that are associated with leadership
Discuss the limitations of trait approaches to leadership
Identifying the Culture of Your Organization
Understand different dimensions of organizational culture
Understand the role of culture strength
Explore subcultures within organizations
Implementing the Strategic Plan
- Learn about creating and implementing strategic and tactical plans
- Know how they change within the organization
Improving Employee Attitude and Job Satisfaction
What are work attitudes?
What is job satisfaction?
What is organizational commitment?
How do people develop positive work attitudes?
In the Field: How Time Managers Make It Work
- How an expert manager schedules his day
- How to set goals that result in achievement
Increasing Team Effectiveness
- How to set team goals that will increase team effectiveness
- How to select the right team members
- How to tackle the challenges of a virtual team
Influence: Getting People on Board
- Learn how to influence people around you
- Know the limits of your influence
- Be able to develop influence
Influencing Without Authority
- Be able to spread your influence throughout your organization
- Understand that your influence does not just go upward or downward
- Learn tips for spreading this influence
Inspiring Creativity as a Leader
- Understand how to inspire creativity in the problem solving efforts of your team
- Recognize assumptions that may be holding you back
International Finance Considerations for Business
Know what exchange rates are
Know how changes in exchange rates affect trade and jobs
Know what forward rates are and how they're used to minimize risk
Introduction to Project Management
- Gain a basic understanding of the basic concepts of project management
- Become more familiar with common characteristics of projects
Introduction to Project Planning
- What a project plan is
- What a project plan must address and include
- How to begin creating a project plan and what to pay extra attention to
- Suggestions for making your project plan effective and useful
Investing With the Time Value of Money
What is time value of money?
What is future value, and how do I calculate it?
What is present value, and how do I calculate it?
What is an annuity, and how do I calculate it?
It All Starts with Character
- Why character is one of the defining characteristics of good leadership
- What characteristics and behaviors make up good character
- How to encourage - and exemplify - good character for your team
Key Tools and Knowledge for Team Leading
- Why teams are important in any business
- What kinds of different teams are out there
- How to best lead teams
Key Tools and Knowledge of Motivation
- How motivation and other factors influence job performance
- How to address an employee’s unmet needs
- Why it is important to reinforce good behavior with appropriate rewards
Keys to Lively and Effective Meetings
- How can I make my meetings more productive and interesting?
- How do I get people more actively involved in meetings?
Know How to Win
- Learn how to be a winner
- Understand that you need to play to win, not play to not lose
Knowing What You Don't Know
- Why it is important to be aware of your strengths and weaknesses
- How to make use of the knowledge you have
- How to figure out what you don't know
- How to deal with your weaknesses in productive ways
Laying Out the Time-Sensitive Project
- How to create a work breakdown structure
- How to identify and consolidate project tasks and sub-tasks
- How to create a network diagram
Lead by Listening
Learn how to listen effectively
Know the ways to show others that you are listening
Learn to value other people and their input
Leadership and Decision Making
- Know the types of decisions and some decision making techniques
- Learn how to set standards for success to evaluate the outcome of decisions
- Recognize the importance of decisiveness
Leadership and Ethics
Learn the definition of work ethics
Know how to be ethical and promote ethicality at your company
Learn to handle and avoid unethical behavior
Leadership and Problem Solving
- Understand the role of a leader as problem solver
- Know what blocking assumptions might be attendant to a problem
- Recognize the value of a systematic approach to problem solving
Leadership vs. Management
- Define the key differences between being a manager and being a leader
- Learn five ways to practice exemplary leadership in your organization
Leadership: Earning Trust
- Understand the importance of trust between leaders and employees
- Learn what you can do to earn the trust of your people
Leadership: Giving Non-Cash Recognition
- Understand how praise and recognition can improve productivity
- Become aware of the do's and don'ts when giving recognition
Leadership: Trusting Others
- Understand the risks and benefits of trusting others
- Learn how trust is linked with leadership
Leading a Team as it Forms and Grows
What it looks like when teams evolve between stages
How to fit your leadership style to different kinds of groups
Leading by Listening
- Understand the importance of listening in good leadership
- Gain key listening skills to use in your workplace
Leading by Listening - Banking and Finance
- Understand the importance of listening in good leadership
- Gain key listening skills to use in your banking and finance workplace
- Learn how to encourage new ideas in your organization
- Be able to create a culture that is open to innovation
- Understand how innovation can have a positive effect on your company
Leading Your Team Ethically
- Consider the role of ethics and culture in leadership
Learn to Be Patient
- Why patience is critical for good leadership
- How a patient leader can influence an entire organization
- Concrete tips for keeping your cool
Letting off Steam
- Why some leaders vent at employees
- When venting is appropriate
- How to respond appropriately to frustrating situations
Linking Ethical Behavior to Your Organization’s Structure
Consider the role of organizational structure and change in ethical behavior
Consider the role of culture for organizational structure and change
Linking Ethics to Stress and Emotions
- How do emotions influence our decisions?
- How do emotions relate to ethics?
Linking Risk and Return to Business
What is risk and return in finance?
How do I relate the concept of risk and return to financial investments?
What are some useful common finance terms?
Listening for Ideas
- Learn how to hold effective meetings in your organization
- Be able to listen to employees and get ideas from them
Maintaining Organizational Culture
- Learn about organizational culture
- Know key tools for maintaining a specific culture in your company
- Be able to remind employees of the culture and its expectations
Make It Personal (Sometimes)
- Learn the pros and cons of personalization of work issues
- Be able to choose the right strategy for the situation
Make Your Presence Felt
- Why presence is important to leadership
- How to increase your presence
Making a Plan that Works
- Learn the five essential steps for making a plan that works
- Know how to develop commitment and track your plan’s progress
- Understand how to set SMART goals for your plan
Making Command Decisions Work for You
Know what a command decision is
Know the pros and cons of a command decision
Know when (and when not) to use command decisions
Making Consensus Decisions Work for You
- Know what a consensus decision is
- Know the pros and cons of a consensus decision
- Know when (and when not) to use consensus decisions
Making Consultative Decisions Work for You
- Know what a consultative decision is
- Know the pros and cons of a consultative decision
- Know when (and when not) to use consultative decisions
Making Decisions as a Group
Understand the pros and cons of individual and group decision making
Learn to recognize the signs of groupthink
Recognize different tools and techniques for making better decisions
Making Delegated Decisions Work for You
- Know what a delegated decision is
- Know the pros and cons of a delegated decision
- Know when (and when not) to use delegated decisions
Making Ethical Decisions
- Understand ethics and what composes ethical behavior
- Understand how you define your personal code of ethics
Manage (and Lead)
- Learn how to encourage a balance of managing and leading
- Get your managers to become leaders
Manage Around Obstacles
- Learn how to deal with ineffectual managers and bosses
- Be able to complete plans without the support of an organization
Manage Your Body Language - And Read Theirs
- Learn to recognize the meanings and patterns of different types of body communication
- Manage your own body language for maximum effect
- Understand how to read the symbols of others in order to serve them better
Management Skills - What Does it Take?
- Name the four sets of skills important for potential managers
Managing by Inclusion
- Learn how to include employees in management and decision-making
- Be able to set up an effective system for gathering input
- Know when a leader must stand and make decisions alone
Managing Change in Your Organization
- Understand Kurt Lewin’s three-stage model of effecting change
- Understand how to make change permanent within an organization
Managing Conflict in the Workplace
Understand different ways to manage conflict
Understand your own communication style
Learn to stimulate conflict if needed
- What you can do to reassure affected parties during a crisis
- When you should and should not offer total transparency
- Specific tips for handling a crisis, including being seen, heard, there and humble
- Learn to manage dissenting points of view
Managing Others' Impression of You
- Learn about impression management
- Understand the concept of influence attempts
- Examine the impact of the direction of influence attempts
Managing Politics in Your Organization
- Understand what organizational politics are
- Examine political behavior within organizations
Managing Project Closure
- Become more familiar with the components of project closure
- Learn how to apply them to your own project management
Managing Project Portfolios
- What is project delegation?
- How do I prioritize my projects?
- Why should I prioritize my project portfolio?
- How can I avoid stress as an individual?
- What are some strategies for reducing employee stress?
Managing Team Development
- Learn the stages of team development
- Know common aspects of each stage
- Understand what a manager should do to promote team loyalty and a strong structure
Managing Teams Ethically
- Consider the role of ethics and teams
- Consider teams around the globe
Managing Teams within an Organization
- Understand how to create team norms, roles, and expectations
- Identify keys to running effective team meetings
- Recognize common barriers to effective teams
Managing the Stages of Groups
- Understand the difference between informal and formal groups
- Learn the stages of group development
- Learn how group cohesion, social loafing and collective efficacy affects groups
March of Time in the Global Village
- Why time management is even more important in a global economy
- How to communicate with employees or clients across the world
- How to make business trips around the country or world more time effective
- Why people on the east coast and people on the west coast perceive time differently
Marketing the Culture of Your Organization
- Understand how to market the culture of an organization
Maximizing the Benefits of Your Organization's Structure
- Explain the roles of formalization, centralization, hierarchical levels, and departmentalization
- Describe how the elements of organizational structure can be combined to create mechanistic and organic structures
- Understand what matrix structures and boundaryless organizations are
- List the steps necessary to become a learning organization
Maximizing the Communication Process
- What is communication?
- How does the communication process work?
- Why is transmitting information important for an organization?
Measuring the Health of the Economy
- How to understand the criteria used to assess the status of the economy
Meeting Deadlines and Avoiding Procrastination
- Why setting and meeting deadlines is important for your job
- How to meet deadlines
- Why people procrastinate
- How to combat your specific reasons for procrastinating
Minimizing Dilemmas in a Diverse Workplace
- What are some issues concerning gender diversity?
- What are some issues concerning race and age diversity?
- What are some issues concerning religion and sexual orientation?
- What are some issues concerning employees with disabilities?
Minimizing Gossip and Rumor
- What is the difference between gossiping and rumors?
- Why do people gossip?
- How can I reduce the problem of negative sharing and gossips in my office?
Motivating Employees: Designing Satisfying Jobs
- What is job specialization?
- What is scientific management?
- What is job rotation?
- What is job enlargement, enrichment and empowerment?
- How will these help in business management?
Motivation: Ethical Strategies
- What is the connection between motivation and ethical behavior?
- How does motivation theory differ across cultures?
- What is “fairness”?
Moving from What to How
- Learn how to stay afloat during organizational change
- Be able to support employees through extreme changes
- Understand the importance of communication with employees
Negotiate Position, Not Values
- What challenges are particularly problematic for negotiations
- How to try to overcome those challenges
- When to handle rejection by looking the other way
Onboarding: Best Practices
- What is on-boarding?
- How do I make my on-boarding process more effective for my employees?
- What are some on-boarding best practices I can implement?
Operational Plans: Budgets
- Know essential information about budgets and operational plans
- Be prepared to make your own budget and keep it on track during the project
Operational Plans: The Single Use Plan
- Learn the types of operational plans
- Know specific details about one-time or single-use plans
Operational Plans: The Standing Plan
- Learn about standing plans
- Know how to create them in a way that they will continue to work
- Learn the most common forms of standing plans
Overcoming Barriers to Workplace Communication
- Explain barriers to communication
- Discuss the most common types of barriers to group communication
Overview of Project Stakeholders
- Gain a general understanding of various types of project stakeholders
- Enhance your knowledge of how each stakeholder interacts with the project
- Explain how managers evaluate employee performance and retain qualified employees
Performance Drivers: Calculating Asset Efficiency
- What is Asset Turnover and how do I calculate it?
- How do I interpret this data at the firm level? At the industry level?
Performance Drivers: Calculating Margins
- What are margins and how are they useful in calculating business profitability?
- How do I calculate different margins using the income statement?
- How do I interpret this data at the firm level? At the industry level?
Perseverance - Keep Pounding the Rock
- Why persistence is valuable in business
- How you can be persistent in your life
- When to hold off and be less persistent
Persuading the Unpersuaded
- What you can do to persuade an unpersuaded faction or party
- How to stay calm in an argument
- When to make an ultimatum
- How to verbalize your arguments effectively
Planning at the Top and Senior Level
- Understand where strategic plans are developed and implemented
- Know how to successfully transition a plan into mid-level implementation
- Know your company’s purpose statement and how to involve it in your strategic plan
Project Authority Planning
- Understand the basic definition of a project manager
- Learn the different types of authority a project manager can have
- How do I budget a project?
- What are some things to consider while budgeting?
- What are contingency dollars and how do I use them?
Project Management = Time Management Turned Up a Notch
- What is project management and how does it relate to time management?
- What is the difference between a large project and small/simple project?
- What are the steps in implementing a small project task list?
Project Management: Impact of Constraints
- Know the three constraints that govern every project
- Know how to react appropriately to a change on any of the three constraints
Project Scheduling: Changing the Plan
- Understand the difference between major tasks and side tasks
- Discover how to combine and streamline redundant tasks
Project Scheduling: Critical Path
- Understand the importance of creating a Critical Path
- Learn how to construct a Critical Path for your schedule
Project Tasks and Sub-Tasks
- What sub-tasks are and how they function
- How to add sub-tasks to your project plan
- When a greater or lesser amount of detail may be appropriate
Projects as a Form of Work
- What is a project?
- What is the difference between a project and a program?
- What is a portfolio?
- How can I manage my projects more efficiently?
Promoting an Ethical Culture in Your Organization
- Consider the role of ethics and culture in organizations
Recognizing Common Barriers to Communication
- Understand different ways that the communication process can be sidetracked
- Understand the role poor listening plays in communication problems
- Understand what active listening is
- Learn strategies to become a more effective listener
Recruiting Good People
- Understand the importance of recruiting and retaining quality people
Reducing Stress Through Time Management
- Understand how stress can be reduced through time management
- Learn six things you can do to better manage your time
Reducing Stress: Meditation and Visualization
Understand the basics of meditation
Learn some simple meditation techniques
Learn about creative visualization and how to find mental calm
Reducing Stress: Techniques to Relax
- Learn a breathing exercise to help you calm down and relax
- Understand the role that muscle tension plays as a stress response
- Learn an exercise you can use before bed to relax your muscles and destress
Remembering the Past
- Recognize the value in taking lessons from past events
- Understand how to best examine past events in order to learn from them
Resilience - Get Up and Do It Again
- Why adversity can make leaders great
- How to be resilient as a leader
- When not to persevere, but instead to regroup
ROI: Calculating Internal Rate of Return
- Know what the Internal Rate of Return (IRR) is
- Know the difference between simple ROI and the IRR
- Know how to do an IRR calculation using online tools
- Know how to compare projects and investments to decide which ones are worthwhile for a company
ROI: Calculating Net Present Value
- Know what a Net Present Value calculation is and what it's used for
- Know what the Time Value of Money means to a financial accountant
- Know how to calculate these values, and where to look for automated calculations of these values
- Know how to assess the worth of a project or investment based on its Net Present Value
ROI: Calculating the Payback Method
- What is ROI and why is it important to business financing?
- What is the Payback Method?
- What are some advantages and disadvantages to using the Payback Method?
Save Time and Save Stress
- Save time and stress
- Master some helpful tips for accomplishing those two goals together
- Analyze your subconscious feelings about time in the Time Lab
Separating and Ranking Needs and Wants
- How do I define project wants versus project needs?
- How can I better clarify and sort the ideas generated in brainstorming for project management?
Stand Up for What You Believe
- Understand what courage is
- Provide examples of courageous behavior
- Assemble a workforce that has virtue and integrity
Starving Out the Interrupting Time Gobblers
- What time-gobblers are and how to avoid them
- How to decrease their negative impact on your productivity
- How to practice what you preach and inspire others to be more productive
Stocking Your Project Management Toolkit
- How to use project task forms
- How to use Gantt charts
- Tips to obtain additional project management resources
Stress Management: Stress Awareness Comes First
- Learn the two different kinds of stress
- Understand sources of stress in your life
- Learn the effects stress can have on your mind and your body
Stress Management: Taking Care of Yourself
- Understand how stress can affect you physically
- Learn why things such as exercise, good nutrition, and socializing with friends can help reduce your stress
- Learn how journaling, meditation, and reframing can all help to reduce your stress
Sustaining a Winning Culture
- Learn how to maintain a winning culture in your organization
- Be able to make your employees winners
Take a Hard Look in the Mirror
- Why taking a hard look in the mirror is a crucial practice for any leader
- How to engage in tough self-examination
- Examples of leaders who made difficult decisions after self-examining
Taking Control of Your Inbox
- How to get less emails
- How to handle emails once you get them
- How to save time when replying to emails
- How to maximize your time when using technology
Team Autonomy and Degrees of Freedom
- Decide which team style works best for the level of autonomy you want to give your work team
The Art of Delegation: Give It to Phil and Phyllis To Do
- Why delegation is vital to your productivity
- How to delegate effectively and efficiently
- How to delegate work to subordinates and co-workers
- What to say to your boss to receive better delegation instructions
The Buck Stops Here
- Examples of leaders that did not hold themselves accountable
- How lack of accountability in leadership can compromise an entire business
- Specific ways to exhibit accountability to your team
The Business of Communication
- Discuss the role of communication in the design of the RAZR cell phone
- Define communication and discuss the ways in which organizations benefit from effective communication
The Daily To-Do List: Your Basic Tool
- The history of the to-do list
- How to create a to-do list
- How to analyze a to-do list for maximum efficiency
The Heart of a Leader and the Seven Qualities of Leadership
- Learn what makes a leader and under what circumstances they are created
- Understand the first of seven Qualities of Leadership-- Vision
The Innovation Curve
- Learn the properties of the Innovation Curve
- Know the styles of each role and how to interact with them
The Many Forms of Money
- How banking works for most businesses
- The right situations to use ATM cards, cashier’s checks, and other sorts of currency
The Meeting: Opportunity or Time Waster?
- Why meetings are often productivity killers
- What the two types of meetings are
- How to execute the most effective meeting
- How to avoid attending wasteful meetings
The Principle of Exploitation
- Discuss and use the principle of exploitation
- Understand why repeat business is so important
- Apply cause and effect to your business decisions and outcomes
The Principle of Maneuver
- Discuss the principle of maneuver
- Begin to use zero-based thinking in business
- Use KWINK analysis to determine areas in your business where change is needed
The Principle of the Mass
- Understand and discuss the principle of the mass
- Apply the Pareto Principle to any number of areas in your business strategy
- Apply the principle of the mass and the Pareto Principle to your business strategy
The Principle of the Objective, Part 1
- Discuss and understand the Principle of the Objective from military strategy
- Apply the Principle of the Objective to your business strategy
The Principle of the Objective, Part 2
- Discuss and understand the Principle of the Objective from military strategy
- Understand and apply the principles of managing by objectives and managing by responsibility
- Apply the Principle of the Objective to your business strategy
The Principle of the Offensive
- Understand and discuss the principle of the offensive
- Apply the principle of the offensive to your business strategy
The Principles of Intelligence and Concerted Action
- Understand the importance of the principle of intelligence
- Use the principle of intelligence in your business by asking key questions about the practices of your competitors
- Apply the principle of concerted action to your businesses coordination and cooperation
The Principles of Surprise and Economy
- Understand the principles of surprise and economy
- Apply the principle of surprise to changing your strategies
- Apply the principle of economy in your business and don't spend unnecessary money
The Principles of Unity of Command, Simplicity and Security
- Understand the principles of unity of command, simplicity and security
- Use these principles to make sure leadership is clear
- Understand why plans should be kept simple
- Utilize the principle of security to guard against unexpected reversals
The Process of a Project
- Learn the five stages of the project management process
- Learn some tips on becoming more efficient in your project management
The Role of Accounting in Business
- Define accounting and identify the different uses of accounting information
The Seven Qualities of Leadership: Courage and Integrity
- Learn how to stay courageous even in times of trouble
- Understand the importance of integrity to a company, its members, and its stakeholders
The Seven Qualities of Leadership: Focus and Cooperation
- Understand how you can direct the energy of your company with focus
- Learn how cooperation leads to harmony and greater innovation
The Seven Qualities of Leadership: Focus and Cooperation - Banking and Finance
- Understand how you can direct the energy of your finance company with focus
- Learn how cooperation leads to harmony and greater innovation
The Seven Qualities of Leadership: Humility and Foresight
- Learn how humility makes us well-rounded leaders
- Understand how foresight can prepare us for upcoming disasters or problems
The Seven Responsibilities of Leadership
- Learn The Seven Responsibilities of Leadership
- Understand the basic ideas of the leadership series
- Take a self-evaluation of your leadership skill set
The Team and Its Members
- Understand the importance of learning to participate in team-based activities
- Identify the skills needed by team members and the roles that members of a team might play
- Explain the skills and behaviors that foster effective team leadership
The Team and the Organization
- Define a team and describe its key characteristics
- Understand the different types of teams and when to use them
The Work Breakdown Structure
- Understand what a work breakdown structure is and how it came about
- Learn how to write an effective work breakdown structure for your company
Time-Saving Tips from Viewers Like You
- What advice people in a myriad of professions have about time management
Tools and Knowledge for Successful Plans
- What the different types of planning are
- How to avoid the pitfalls of certain types of planning
- How to make rational planning decisions
Top 10 Mistakes of Managers
- Be aware of the top 10 mistakes that new managers make
Transitioning to Management - The First Year
- Become familiar with the transition a new manager must make into a new role
Types of Work Teams
- What categories teams and groups fall into
- What these group types' pros and cons are
- How and why a group becomes one type or another
Understanding Bonds and their Values
- What is a bond?
- How are bonds valued?
- What changes a bond's valuation?
Understanding Conflict in the Workplace
- Define and understand different types of conflict
- Address why conflict isn't always considered negative
Understanding Decision Making
- Define decision making
- Understand different types of decisions and when to use them
Understanding Emotion in the Workplace
- What is Affective Events Theory?
- How do emotions affect attitude?
- What is emotional labor?
- What is cognitive dissonance?
- What is emotional intelligence?
Understanding Motivation: Managing Expectations
- What is expectancy theory?
- What are the three questions considered when deciding to put forth effort at work?
- What is reinforcement theory?
- How can managers use these principles to motivate employees?
Understanding Motivation: Meeting Employee Needs
- What is the definition of employee motivation?
- How does employee ability affect performance?
- How does the work environment affect employee performance?
- What are need-based theories of motivation?
Understanding Motivation: Processes that Inspire
- What is equity theory?
- How do employees evaluate the fairness of reward distributions?
- What are the three types of fairness that affect attitudes and behaviors?
Understanding Organizational Behavior
- What is organizational behavior (OB)?
- Why does OB matter?
Understanding Power and Dependency
- Learn the meaning of power
- Understand how power can have both positive and negative consequences
- Learn about different sources of power
- Understand the relationship between dependency and power
Understanding Successful Negotiation
- Learn the five phases of negotiation
- Learn negotiation strategies
- Avoid common mistakes in negotiations
- Learn about third-party negotiations
Understanding the Behavior of Leaders
- Explain the behaviors that are associated with leadership
- Identify the three decision-making styles leaders use and the conditions under which they are effective
- Discuss the limitations of behavioral approaches to leadership
Understanding the Impact of Culture in Your Organization
- Define organizational culture
- Understand why organizational culture is important
- Understand the different levels of organizational culture
Understanding What Drives Your Project
- Learn what it means for a factor to drive a project
- Re-establish the difference between the terms output, time and resources
- Learn how to figure out when a factor is more important than the rest
- Learn about bottom-up leadership
- Understand the benefits of leadership from the bottom levels
- Encourage the growth of leaders from all levels of the organization
Using Gantt Charts for Your Project
- What is a Gantt chart?
- How do I use a Gantt chart?
- What are the advantages of a Gantt chart?
Using Power and Influence Ethically
- Consider the role of ethics and power
- Consider the role of culture on power
Using ROA and ROE as Performance Indicators
- What is ROA and ROE?
- Why are these figures important and how do they relate to business performance?
- How do I interpret ROA and ROE?
Using Your Prime Energy Time for Priority Tasks
- When you are most productive and how to maximize this time
- How to schedule an hour of quiet time every day even in the midst of distractions and obligations
- How to plan to plan
Utilizing Power and Influence Effectively
- Identify the five sources of power
- Understand influence tactics
What are Emotions?
What are emotions?
How do emotions relate to work behavior?
What is Economics?
- Define economics and identify factors of production
- Explain how economists answer the three key economics questions
- Compare and contrast economic systems
What is New Employee Onboarding?
- Know the definition of new employee onboarding
- Know what factors go into onboarding
- Know the four "Cs" - four levels of onboarding
- Know the three types of organizations, categorized by their effectiveness at onboarding new employees
What is Stress?
- What is stress?
- What is General Adaptation Syndrome?
- What are stressors?
- What are the outcomes of stress?
What Makes a Great Place to Work?
- Identify factors that make an organization a good place to work
Why Do We Procrastinate - and What Can We Do About It?
- Understand why you procrastinate
- What methods to use to procrastinate less
Why Teamwork Works
- Explain why teams may be effective or ineffective
- Identify factors that contribute to team cohesiveness
Work Team Characteristics
- What characteristics are typical of work teams?
- What problems commonly arise relating to them?
- How can I positively influence teams?
Work Teams - Types and Environments
- Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of working in teams
- Learn about different ways to structure teams
Working With Status Reports
- What is a status report?
- What are some tools I can use to report project status?
- Who gets status reports?
- How often should I be reporting project status?
Workplace Communication: Presentations and Nonverbal Communication
- Describe the process followed to create and deliver successful presentations
Writing the Right -and Quick- Way
- Why written communication is often more efficient than verbal communication
- How to write an effective memo
- How to dictate for transcription
- How to write a quick and concise business letter