Project Management Training:
The Project Management Training Series provides the learner with practical skills in managing company projects. This comprehensive collection offers three different levels of training and imparts critical knowledge about stakeholder management, planning, scheduling and budgeting. Also covered are project communications, delegation and decision making. The complete project management series is 47 hours of content.
Alternative Routes to Accomplishing the Project Goal
- How to uncover multiple paths to one project goal
- How to score and weigh different options in achieving a goal
- Figure out what the best decision is based on numerical values
An Introduction to Productive Conflict Resolution
Know some of the basic tenets of conflict resolution
Know how to look at conflict as an opportunity for productivity and growth
Applying Breakeven Analysis in the Workplace
- What is breakeven analysis?
- Why is breakeven analysis an important part of business finance?
Avoiding Faulty Decision Making
- Understand the different types of bias
- Recognize how bias may cause issues in organizations
- Know how to avoid common decision-making traps
Basics of the Project Pre-Work Process
- Understand the project pre-work process
- Familiarize yourself with the process a project manager should go through before a project begins
Brainstorming Project Tasks
- How to begin brainstorming for your project
- Suggestions for making your brainstorming more effective at the outset
- Learn to build commitment for your project
- Explain the value and benefits of the project to team member and stakeholders
Collaborative Project Management in the Cloud
- What is the cloud?
- What does cloud-based project management offer?
- Who uses these tools?
- Where can I find tools for cloud-based project management?
Communicating with Your Project Team
- Understand how one communicates differently with different groups on a project
- How to conduct an efficient team meeting
- Discuss the nature of communications in an organizational setting, including communication flows, channels, and networks
- Learn techniques for properly giving constructive feedback
- Know when to give feedback and in what manner
- Discover how to assess the risk of problems arising in your projects
- Know how to make a contingency plan
- Figure out when it’s time to implement said contingency plan
Controlling Change in Project Management
- Become familiar with the concepts of change requests and change logs
- Have a greater understanding of the different sizes of change and the attention that must be given to each
Cost of Capital: What does money cost?
- Understand the cost of capital
- Know how the weighted average cost of capital is calculated
- Know how to compute the cost of debt and the cost of equity
Creating an Effective Leadership Style
- Learn about the conditions that determine the effectiveness of different leadership styles
- Identify the conditions under which task-oriented and people-oriented leaders can be successful
- Understand when leaders should be be democratic or authoritarian decision-makers
Cross-Cultural Considerations for Managing Projects
- How does culture affect project management?
- What is Total Quality Management?
Day-to-Day Project Management
- Manage a project and resources on a day-to-day basis
- Understand how to manage time properly and stay on the project schedule
- Avoid common pitfalls and trends that can derail a project
Dealing with Difficult SItuations
- Understand what a conflict spiral is and how to break it
- Understand how to deal with emotions in a negotiation
- Learn how to handle ultimatums
Dealing with External Approvals
- The role approvals play in a project plan
- How approvals can alter your schedule
- How to map approvals on your project plan
Decision Making: A Model for the Best Style
- Recognize the difference between command, consultative, consensus, and delegated decision making styles
Decision Making: An Overview
- Know the three keys to effective decision making
- Know how to determine who has decision making authority
- Know to begin a decision with the end in mind
- Know what boundaries regulate your decision making
Defining Project Problems or Opportunities
- What is the best way to approach a problem encountered in my project?
- What is the best way to handle an unexpected opportunity for my projects?
- What are the four main things I should be asking myself when problem-solving?
Designing and Managing Effective Teams
- Understand how tasks and roles affect teams
- Identify different types of teams
- Identify management techniques that match team design
Determining Project Requirements
- How do I know what my sponsors want me to do in a project?
- What are the first steps I should take when assessing project requirements?
- What are some good methods to generate ideas or brainstorm?
Developing a Project Goal Statement
- Know how to develop a project goal statement
- Implement the SMART method for project goals
- Understand the limitations of projects
Developing Your Leadership Style
- Learn about the difference between transformational and transactional leaders
- Find out how charismatic leadership relates to leader performance
- Describe how high-quality leader-subordinate relationships develop
- Define servant and authentic leadership and evaluate its potential for leadership effectiveness
Effective Styles for Interpersonal Communication
- How to identify dominant personality types in others
- How to interact with people using types as a guide
- What can happen to your work team in the absence of personality balance
Estimating Task and Activity Durations
- Understand how to get accurate time estimates from team members
- Learn the difference between calendar time and work time
- Know how and why to include a safety factor
Exploring the History of Agile
- Obtain a fuller understanding of the Agile manifesto and its history
- Understand the key points and concepts for Agile and its use in project management
Garnering Agreement on Project Requirements
- Make a list of needs and wants that is based on assumptions shared with stakeholders
- Communicate with stakeholders during the process of establishing consensus on your project needs and goals
Getting Project Requests Right
- How do I write a project proposal?
- What is a charter?
- What is delegation?
- Why is asking the right questions so important?
- How to give useful feedback
- The ins and outs of active listening
- How to master nonverbal communication
Handling Conflict with the Thomas-Kilmann Model
- Understand the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Model for handling conflict
- Know when to use each of the five conflict handling styles identified by the model
Handling Conflicts in High-Value Relationships
Understand the conflict handling strategies suggested for high-value relationships
Know how to apply these strategies to a conflict situation
Handling Conflicts in Low-Value Relationships
Understand the conflict handling strategies suggested for low-value relationships
Know how to apply these strategies to a conflict situation
How Teams Form and Grow
What the four stages of group development are
What the characteristics of the stages are
Identify potential team members and their skill-sets
Gain influence over stakeholders
Identifying Project Risks
Know what common types of risks are found in projects
Learn how to avoid risks when possible
Identifying the Characteristics of a Successful Team
Understand the difference between groups and teams
Understand the factors leading to the rise in the use of teams
Intro to Scrum
- Become more familiar with the concepts and techniques surrounding scrum
Introduction to Project Management
- Gain a basic understanding of the basic concepts of project management
- Become more familiar with common characteristics of projects
Introduction to Project Planning
What a project plan is
What a project plan must address and include
How to begin creating a project plan and what to pay extra attention to
Suggestions for making your project plan effective and useful
Investing with the Time Value of Money
What is time value of money?
What is future value, and how do I calculate it?
What is present value, and how do I calculate it?
What is an annuity, and how do I calculate it?
Keys to Lively and Effective Meetings
- How can I make my meetings more productive and interesting?
- How do I get people more actively involved in meetings?
Lead by Listening
Learn how to listen effectively
Know the ways to show others that you are listening
Learn to value other people and their input
Leadership and Ethics
Learn the definition of work ethics
Know how to be ethical and promote ethicality at your company
Learn to handle and avoid unethical behavior
Leadership vs. Management
- Define the key differences between being a manager and being a leader
- Learn five ways to practice exemplary leadership in your organization
Leadership: Earning Trust
- Understand the importance of trust between leaders and employees
- Learn what you can do to earn the trust of your people
Leadership: Giving Non-Cash Recognition
- Understand how praise and recognition can improve productivity
- Become aware of the do's and don'ts when giving recognition
Leadership: Trusting Others
- Understand the risks and benefits of trusting others
- Learn how trust is linked with leadership
Leading a Team as it Forms and Grows
What it looks like when teams evolve between stages
How to fit your leadership style to different kinds of groups
Leading Your Team Ethically
- Consider the role of ethics and culture in leadership
Linking Risk and Return to Business
What is risk and return in finance?
How do I relate the concept of risk and return to financial investments?
What are some useful common finance terms?
Making Command Decisions Work for You
Know what a command decision is
Know the pros and cons of a command decision
Know when (and when not) to use command decisions
Making Consensus Decisions Work for You
Know what a consensus decision is
Know the pros and cons of a consensus decision
Know when (and when not) to use consensus decisions
Making Consultative Decisions Work for You
Know what a consultative decision is
Know the pros and cons of a consultative decision
Know when (and when not) to use consultative decisions
Making Decisions as a Group
- Understand the pros and cons of individual and group decision making
- Learn to recognize the signs of groupthink
- Recognize different tools and techniques for making better decisions
Making Delegated Decisions Work for You
- Know what a delegated decision is
- Know the pros and cons of a delegated decision
- Know when (and when not) to use delegated decisions
Making Ethical Decisions
- Understand ethics and what composes ethical behavior
- Understand how you define your personal code of ethics
Managing Project Closure
- Become more familiar with the components of project closure
- Learn how to apply them to your own project management
Managing Project Portfolios
- What is project delegation?
- How do I prioritize my projects?
- Why should I prioritize my project portfolio?
Managing Teams Ethically
Consider the role of ethics and teams
Consider teams around the globe
Managing Teams within an Organization
Understand how to create team norms, roles, and expectations
Identify keys to running effective team meetings
Recognize common barriers to effective teams
Managing the Stages of Groups
Understand the difference between informal and formal groups
Learn the stages of group development
Learn how group cohesion, social loafing and collective efficacy affects groups
Overcoming Barriers to Workplace Communication
- Explain barriers to communication
- Discuss the most common types of barriers to group communication
Overview of Project Stakeholders
- Gain a general understanding of various types of project stakeholders
- Enhance your knowledge of how each stakeholder interacts with the project
- Explain how managers evaluate employee performance and retain qualified employees
Performance Management: A Manager's Responsibility
Understand a managers' responsibilities in performance management
Acknowledge common points of weakness in performance management
Learn how to avoid behaviors that result in unsuccessful performance management
Performance Management: A Systems View
Understand what performance management is and what it is comprised of
Know the aspects of performance management and the various components necessary for success
Performance Management: The Coaching Conversation
Understand the Performance Improvement Method for developing employees
Improve your employee coaching skills and broaden your coaching toolbox
Planning Process Summary
Why the planning guidelines are essential
How the pieces all fit together
Planning Project Phases
What phases are
How to begin illustrating your project plan, starting with project phases
How to identify and build phases in your project
What a post-project evaluation is
How to go about creating one
Questions to ask to make yours especially useful
Problem Solving on Projects
When problem solving should be an in-depth process
What steps you should take
How to make sure each step is done effectively
Project Authority Planning
Understand the basic definition of a project manager
Learn the different types of authority a project manager can have
- How do I budget a project?
- What are some things to consider while budgeting?
- What are contingency dollars and how do I use them?
Project Complexity Analysis
- How do I manage complex projects efficiently?
- What are some tools I can use to manage complex projects?
Project Management Program Opener
- Learn the Project Management objectives
- Know what basic concepts are involved in the process of a project
Project Management Program Closer
- What steps make up the process of project management
- What to take away from Jeff Crow’s previous lessons
Project Management: Impact of Constraints
Know the three constraints that govern every project
Know how to react appropriately to a change on any of the three constraints
Project Management: Project Process Model
Know the five steps of the project process model
Know what activities the project manager does at each step of the project
Know the expected accuracy for your time and resource estimates at each stage of the project
Project Organization in the Planning Process
How to begin organizing your tasks
Common task relationships
How to express task relationships using the mapping technique
Project Planning Summary
Know the phases needed to plan and begin a project
Understand the resources and tasks necessary to begin
Learn the steps necessary in creating a project proposal
Answer key questions and assumptions in your project
Understand what to avoid or be wary of
Project Resource Planning
- Understand the acronym PARIS and how to use it to assign people to tasks
Project Scheduling: Basic Concepts
Recognize the limitations of scheduling a large project
Know the difference between task time and duration
Learn how to recognize if a given schedule is going to meet a deadline
Project Scheduling: Changing the Plan
Understand the difference between major tasks and side tasks
Discover how to combine and streamline redundant tasks
Project Scheduling: Critical Path
Understand the importance of creating a Critical Path
Learn how to construct a Critical Path for your schedule
Project Scheduling: Overlapping Tasks
Understand the difference between lag time and slack or float
Calculate approximately how long a given task should take
Know how to juggle multiple tasks
Project Tasks and Sub-Tasks
What sub-tasks are and how they function
How to add sub-tasks to your project plan
When a greater or lesser amount of detail may be appropriate
Projects as a Form of Work
- What is a project?
- What is the difference between a project and a program?
- What is a portfolio?
- How can I manage my projects more efficiently?
Quantifying Project Risks
Learn how to calculate possible risk scores
Know when a problem requires specific attention or involvement
Understand the significance and meaning of different levels of risk
- Examine the Responsibility Allocation Matrix
- Learn which responsibilities should be allocated and which resource should be held accountable
ROI: Calculating Internal Rate of Return
Know what the Internal Rate of Return (IRR) is
Know the difference between simple ROI and the IRR
Know how to do an IRR calculation using online tools
Know how to compare projects and investments to decide which ones are worthwhile for a company
ROI: Calculating Net Present Value
Know what a Net Present Value calculation is and what it's used for
Know what the Time Value of Money means to a financial accountant
Know how to calculate these values, and where to look for automated calculations of these values
Know how to assess the worth of a project or investment based on its Net Present Value
ROI: Calculating the Payback Method
What is ROI and why is it important to business financing?
What is the Payback Method?
What are some advantages and disadvantages to using the Payback Method?
Separating and Ranking Needs and Wants
- How do I define project wants versus project needs?
- How can I better clarify and sort the ideas generated in brainstorming for project management?
Shortening the Critical Path
Learn to shorten critical path
Improve task time/task duration ratio
Adjust priority and concurrency of tasks
Be thoughtful about resource allocation
Stakeholder Analysis Alternatives
Obtain the tools necessary for analyzing potential stakeholders
Learn how to deal with problems that may arise with stakeholders
Stakeholder Analysis Matrix
What role stakeholders play in your project
How to create an extremely detailed stakeholder analysis matrix
The PERT Chart
- What is a PERT chart?
- When would I use a PERT chart?
- Why is it useful?
The Process of a Project
- Learn the five stages of the project management process
- Learn some tips on becoming more efficient in your project management
The Project Kickoff Meeting
- What is a project kickoff meeting?
- What should be included in my kickoff meeting?
- Who should attend?
- How do I prepare for a kickoff meeting?
- Where should it be held?
The Responsibility Matrix
- What is the responsibility matrix?
- Why should I use it?
- How do I communicate who does what in my responsibility matrix?
The Team and Its Members
Understand the importance of learning to participate in team-based activities
Identify the skills needed by team members and the roles that members of a team might play
Explain the skills and behaviors that foster effective team leadership
The Team and the Organization
Define a team and describe its key characteristics
Understand the different types of teams and when to use them
The Triple Bottom Line
- Provide a general understanding of Triple Bottom Line
- Provide ideas on how to utilize this framework at all levels
- Illustrate the benefits of this three-pronged approach
The Work Breakdown Structure
- Understand what a work breakdown structure is and how it came about
- Learn how to write an effective work breakdown structure for your company
Turning a Project into a Process
Know how to turn a project into a process
Understand the differences between each
Learn tips for the changeover between them
Types of Work Teams
What categories teams and groups fall into
What these group types' pros and cons are
How and why a group becomes one type or another
Understanding Decision Making
Define decision making
Understand different types of decisions and when to use them
Understanding What Drives Your Project
Learn what it means for a factor to drive a project
Re-establish the difference between the terms output, time and resources
Learn how to figure out when a factor is more important than the rest
Using Gantt Charts for Your Project
- What is a Gantt chart?
- How do I use a Gantt chart?
- What are the advantages of a Gantt chart?
Using The Critical Chain
- What is the Critical Chain?
- Who developed the Critical Chain idea?
- How will this improve project management on my team?
- How do I use the Critical Chain?
Validating Project Needs and Wants
Know how to list your project wants and needs for stakeholders
Learn when to accept or reject an idea
Create a final project list of important wants and needs
What Makes a Great Place to Work?
- Identify factors that make an organization a good place to work
Why Teamwork Works
Explain why teams may be effective or ineffective
Identify factors that contribute to team cohesiveness
Win-Win Negotiations for Conflict Resolution
Become familiar with a series of strategies designed to help you find mutually-beneficial solutions to conflicts
Know how to apply these strategies to any conflict situation
Working With Status Reports
What is a status report?
What are some tools I can use to report project status?
Who gets status reports?
How often should I be reporting project status?
Workplace Communication: Presentations and Nonverbal Communication
- Describe the process followed to create and deliver successful presentations